Search This Blog

Thursday 14 January 2021

A Reluctant Feminist - Chapter 1

By Girish Menon

 

Laila, strapped to a seat in an Air Force AN-12 transport aircraft, hums

Waqt ne kiya kya haseen situm,

Hum rahen na hum,

Tum rahen na tum.

(Time, you’ve tricked us, I’m not the old me, Nor you the old you)

The sound of the azaan from her phone wakes her from her reverie; she unbuckles her seat belt, stands up, stretches her weary limbs, sidesteps a coffin like wooden box in front of her, goes to the open space on the aircraft, searches for the direction of Mecca and rolls out her mat. Suddenly the aircraft shudders and Laila notices the inside of the coffin has slid out. A shiny glint from the corpse’s necklace catches her eye. Laila rolls up her mat, pulls out a pair of latex gloves, wears them, removes the necklace and places it in a thick gift wrapped box in her handbag. The aircraft shudders again and the coffin innards slide out a bit more. Laila notices the corpse is wearing a shiny bracelet on its right wrist. She removes it and arranges it decoratively in the box alongside the necklace.  She pulls out some adhesive tape from her bag, slides the coffin shut, tapes it and allows herself a wry smile. The perks of the job!

 The captain yells: “Laila, Discharge time!”

Laila: Sir, how did he die?

Captain: Polonium poisoning, I think

The cargo doors of the plane open. Laila gets up and gives the coffin a push. It rolls off outside the aircraft. The aircraft veers upwards into the sky, lands at an airport and Laila emerges into a dark Mumbai evening at Kalina and calls for an Uber to take her home to Bhendi Bazaar.

Laila unlocks the door and quietly tiptoes to the safe in her bedroom. She removes the gift wrapped box from her knapsack, places it in the safe, locks it and rushes to the toilet. Abdul is watching TV from his armchair enjoying the song

Dil se tujhko bedilli hai,

Mujhko hai dil ka ghuroor,

Tu yeh mane ke na mane

Log manenge zaroor,

Yeh mera deewana pan hai

Ya mohabbat ka suroor,

Tu na pehchane to hai

Ye teri nazroon ka kasoor.

(You seem to deny your heart, While I am proud of my love, You may not admit it,    The world will recognise it, It could be my irrationality, Or a hangover of love, If you cannot still spot it, You could be loveblind)

 

He switches off the TV, humming the rest of the song he walks wearily to the dining table, waiting for Laila. Laila emerges from the toilet, washes her hands and rushes to the dining table which has vessels of cooked food and two overturned plates and glasses. The maid warms the food.  

Laila: Why haven't you eaten? It's not good for your diabetes.

Abdul: Nooo. You know that I don't like to eat alone.

Laila serves food for Abdul and herself

Laila: Ok, I'm sorry darling. Let's eat.

Abdul: What took you so long?

Laila: Routine, unending work. You know I can't say anything more.

Abdul: Was it a late parcel delivery?

Laila Smiles

Abdul: Ok, then can we discuss about Sana?

Laila: You know the nature of my job. What about Sana?

Abdul: She has failed in maths again. Her teacher has sent a note.

Laila: What about her tuition teacher? What is she doing despite the huge fees?

Abdul: Well! She says that without Sana doing any homework there is no way any teacher can help with her maths.

Laila: How was your day?

Abdul: Hectic, I got in an hour before you and Sana was already asleep. I think Sana needs one parent to be around when she comes from school.

Laila: You know I have to take an early flight to Delhi tomorrow.

Abdul: Why, I thought you were in the Maharashtra Police.

Laila: Yes, but Lakshmi Madam said that I was being considered for a special assignment.

Abdul: What special assignment? Have any of your assignments ever been ordinary? You bring this up every time I mention Sana. I think you should leave the job. I can support the whole family and I might get a London transfer soon.

Laila: OH! That’s great! Let me finish this one assignment and then I will apply for VRS. It will also give me a pension for life.

Abdul: But you said the same thing two years ago.

Laila: I know! I know! Please trust me one last time. 

They finish their meal in silence. Dump the dishes in the sink, jump into bed and start snoring.

Same time the next day Abdul watches the song

Dil ko teri hi tamanna

Dil ko hai tujhse hi pyaar

Chahe tu aaye na aaye

Hum karenge intezaar

Yeh mera deewanapan hai

(My heart desires you, My heart loves you, Even if you don’t show up, I will wait for you, It could be my irrationality)

Laila opens the toilet door and joins Abdul at the dinner table.

Abdul: How was your meeting with Lakshmi madam?

Laila: Great! They have selected me over many applicants including that bloody conniving Sanjeev Bhatt.

Abdul: But he's IPS isn't he?

Laila: Yes, but they have chosen me over him. I have to report to camp in a week.

Abdul: What? Why and for how long?

Laila: You know it is a secret assignment and I will get to train at the top secret Pax Indica Centre. Lakshmi Madam has personally assured me that after this assignment I can retire at 35 with Secretary level pension.

Abdul: And have you said yes?

Laila: This is my one last assignment and soon we will get a pension for life and I will be home to care for you and Sana. From then on you can choose your assignments and your shitty boss can go to hell.

Abdul: Do I have a say in this at all?

Laila: It's for us Abdul! Sana, you and me! Trust me one last time!


===End of Chapter 1

No comments:

Post a Comment