Search This Blog

Saturday 24 January 2009

Slumdog Millionaire - Song attributed to Surdas - is it right?

 
 
 
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=0UYtyMXwEuo
 
The song is from the film
 
NARSI BHAGAT (1957)
SHAHU MODAK, NIRUPA ROY, RADHAKRISHNA, LALITA PAWAR, PRATIMA DEVI
Produced By: GOEL CINE PROD.
Directed By: DEVENDRA GOEL
Music By: RAVI
DEVOTIONAL
Sung - Hemant Kumar, Sudha Malhotra and Manna Dey
Lyrics - Gopal Singh Nepali
 
The meaning is as follows:
Oh Lord Ghanashyama (dark as a raincloud, ie. Krishna)! Please give Thy vision (as) my eyes are thirsty. Light the temple of my heart, O Thou who art in every Ghata (literally: pot, here it means: residing everywhere or Omnipotent).
Thy idols are found in every temple, yet Thy (actual) face is not seen anywhere. Ages
have gone by, yet the full-moon (night) of (our) meeting has not come yet. 
When Thou openest the doors of (Thy) Compassion, the dumb sing in the highest note:
Also, the blind see, and the lame walk all the way to Kashi (Varanasi)!
(I) drink water to slake my (physical) thirst, but how to explain to my eyes! (how to quench their thirst to see you). Give up this hide-and-seek now, O dweller of (my or everybody's) heart!
O Lord Ghanashyama! Please give Thy vision...
 


Share your photos with Windows Live Photos - Free Try it Now!

1 comment:

  1. Hi dear ,
    Some really helpful information here.I Like of your website design.Did you make this template yourself or did you get it from any templates websites? Looks pretty cool for me . I use Joomla but wants something better.
    I finally decided to write a comment on your blog . I just wanted to say good job . I really enjoy reading your posts.

    Thanks

    larnaca-properties

    ReplyDelete